Our topics this year are: Safe and Sound, Space, Historical Heroes, Water and Our Environment.
When we begin each topic we talk about what we already know about the topic and what we would like to find out. We use our skills from all areas of the curriculum to find the answers to the questions we have thought of. Our classroom displays show our learning and we also share our displays across the whole school to teach others.
Safe and Sound
- how to be safe in our homes.
- how to be safe on the road with investigations and experiments.
- how to use the Internet safely.
- who to talk to if we do not feel safe.
- how to research by finding out about the Solar System.
- how to share our learning using PowerPoint and Keynote Presentations.
- how to be creative by making rockets to fly in the classroom
- about famous artists by using their work to inspire us.
- how our world has changed over history.
- about famous people from the past and the impact they have had on our lies.
- how we can have a positive effect on our community and the wider world.
- how to use the Internet to find out more and consider the opinions of others.
- that water is necessary for living things.
- how water takes on different forms.
- how to create posters to persuade.others,
- to express ourselves through poetry, art and music.
- what we need to do to protect our environment.
- about the differences between our local environment and the wider world.
- how we can improve our environment.
- to show our learning by creating an information movie.
Our class learn how to communicate with each other by talking to each other and learning how to listen. We can speak in front of the whole school when we share our assemblies. This makes us more confident speakers.
In p4 we are great readers. We enjoy reading every day and we know that this makes us better readers. We read in class, in our school library and at home. Our teachers take us to the local Whiterock Library. This year we begin to use the Accelerated Reading scheme to improve our reading accuracy by checking our understanding with an online quiz. We can also use the Bug Club at home.
In class we write for different reasons. We write stories, poems, reports and other types of writing. We use our knowledge of phonics to spell correctly and we are learning to use a joined style of handwriting.
In numeracy we are learning to use our mathematics skills in everyday life. We problem solve with real life themes. We learn the stages of problem solving so that we can tackle anything!
To help improve our speed in number facts, we play games and sing counting patterns. We like using practical counting materials to help us to understand what we are doing. We work in pairs and in groups on investigations. We look for shapes in our environment and describe them. We collect information to show in graphs and tables. We are becoming more accurate when we measure and we are finding out about the common units of measurement such as metres, kilograms and litres.
We use the DoodleMaths app and Bug Club to strengthen our skills in maths.
We use ICT to:
- programme BeeBot to move around a map.
- make a PowerPoint or Keynote presentation on our class topics.
- design posters to share our learning.
- create an animation using the coding language Scratch.
- read the news online and add our own comments.
- learn how to use ICT safely and responsibly.
This year we have a very special event – our First Holy Communion. To get ready, we learn about the importance of this sacrament and we go Mass together as a group. We follow the Grow in Love programme for P4. We celebrate feast days and learn about the Gospel. In class we also talk about other faiths and religions.
We hope you have enjoyed learning about life in Primary 4a.